Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Restarting

 I started this blog over ten years ago. It was a great idea, but I am easily distracted and I eventually stopped posting. I'd peek into it now and then to make sure it was still going, and I even made a couple more, one on gardening and one on plus-size clothes. Both of which have stalled too. But three years ago, I learned something about myself. I have ADHD and knowing this has made a profound impact on my life.

As an older person, the way I found out at 49 was by learning that my younger daughter has ADHD. I must admit, we had been told this when she was about 11, but she didn't show 'typical' indications of ADHD, which is complete hyperactivity and running around like a mad thing as pop culture has us believing that is all it is, so I didn't believe it. Also, I didn't like the psychiatrist who barely interacted with her and only talked to us, her parents, so I lost trust in him. Anyway, like many things connected to humanity, ADHD is more complex than that simple idea and one of the reasons ADHD in girls is underdiagnosed, or has been, is that they can present differently. I'm not going to discuss that as there are lots more resources around that can explain it better and I'll put in links below, suffice to say, it's why I and my two daughters didn't get diagnosed or believed until we were adults.

Now that I have known for the last three years I have swung around in my emotions about it. I've felt relief to understand why I have behaved certain ways and seemed to undermine my own self at every turn. Then swung to anger about what seems to be a stupid brain fart and wondering what the point of ADHD is. I put the last thought out on Twitter and was gifted the answer in the form of a book recommendation called "ADHD, A Hunter in a Farmer's World" By Thom Hartmann. It helped me considerably and I felt slightly less angry. 

However, it has been a matter of learning how to deal with having ADHD. I've been collecting tools through great online ADHD influencers. Learned how to manage tasks ADHD style and also how to forgive myself when I fail (still working on that one). One important tool is doing things in manageble chunks. Hence, today I'm writing this post. It's a little step towards my goals this year.

Cheers!

https://www.adhd.org.nz/ 

https://www.adhd.org.nz/self-screening-assessment-tool-for-adults-who-suspect-that-they-have-adhd.html 

https://blackgirllostkeys.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/HowtoADHD 


No comments:

Post a Comment